Conditions for naturalization in Vietnam
Law on Vietnamese nationality no 24/2008/QH12 issued date 13 November 2008 provides for conditions for naturalization in Vietnam:
Article 19. Conditions for naturalization in Vietnam
1. Foreign nationals and stateless persons permanently residing in Vietnam who file applications for Vietnamese nationality may be permitted for naturalization in Vietnam if they satisfy the following conditions:
a/ Having the full civil act capacity as prescribed by Vietnam’s laws;
b/ Obeying the Constitution and laws of Vietnam; respecting the traditions, customs and practices of the Vietnamese nation;
c/ Understanding Vietnamese sufficiently enough to integrate themselves into the Vietnamese community;
d/ Having resided in Vietnam for 5 years or more by the time of application for naturalization;
đ/ Being capable of making their livelihood in Vietnam.
2. Those who apply for Vietnamese nationality may be permitted for naturalization in Vietnam without having to fully meet the conditions prescribed at Points c, d and e, Clause 1 of this Article if they fall into one of the following cases:
a/ Being spouses, natural parents or natural offsprings of Vietnamese citizens;
b/ Having made meritorious contributions to Vietnam’s national construction and defense;
c/ Being helpful to the State of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam.
3. Persons naturalized in Vietnam shall renounce their foreign nationality, except for those defined in Clause 2 of this Article in special cases, if so permitted by the President.
4. Persons applying for Vietnamese nationality must have Vietnamese names. These names may be selected by the applicants and written in the decisions on naturalization in Vietnam.
5. Persons applying for Vietnamese nationality may not be permitted for naturalization if such naturalization is detrimental to Vietnam’s national interests.
6. The Government shall specify conditions for naturalization in Vietnam.
Decree No. 16/2020/ND-CP details some articles and measures for implementation of Vietnamese Nationality law has the following additional conditions:
Article 7. Conditions for naturalization of Vietnamese nationality according to Article 19 of Law of Vietnamese Nationality
1. Be fluent in Vietnamese enough to blend into Vietnamese community refers to capacity to hear, speak, read and write in Vietnamese satisfactory to living and working environment of applicants for naturalization of Vietnamese nationality.
2. Applicants for naturalization of Vietnamese nationality specified in Clauses 1 and 2 Article 19 of Law on Vietnamese Nationality must be residing in Vietnam and provided with Permanent Residence Cards by competent police agencies of Vietnam.
Duration of stay in Vietnam of applicants for naturalization of Vietnamese nationality shall begin from the date on which the applicants are issued with Permanent Residence Cards.
3. Ability to ensure livelihood in Vietnam of applicants for naturalization of Vietnam nationality shall be proven by legal assets and sources of income of the applicants or guarantee of organizations and individuals in Vietnam.